Today, this high-alpine region is home to 24 hamlets spread over 16 km, but a few centuries ago the high-altitude valley was uninhabited. The first settlers arrived in the idyllic Leutaschtal valley in the 12th century. In 1178 a Bavarian free noble gifted a part of the forest to the Upper Bavarian Augustinian monastery in Polling bei Weilheim; precisely the part the Luitaske river now flows through – Leutasch.
The end of the 12th century marked the beginning of an intensive period of deforestation. Even today there is evidence that this process was done with great care and respect for the natural environment and cultural landscape. The special scenery and topology still thrill visitors and locals in this idyllic area – still so close to nature – with its hills and mountains, broad-ranging areas of forest and winding mountain roads linking up the various villages and the Seefelder region.